- Don’t be afraid of the person you want to be. Chase your dreams. If your dreams scare you it isn’t because they are impossible, it is because they are big, important, and hold the ability to change the world. Act on your dreams, don’t just dream them.
- Wake up and be eager. Your attitude in the first 30 minutes of the day will determine how your day will be. Wake up eager. Eager to love, serve and simply be.
- Use social media for good not evil. With technology, you have the ability to communicate in a global and powerful way. But that power can be used for bad or good. Use social media to connect you to others and bring those around you up.
- Just because you disagree with someone doesn’t give you the right to hate them. *****cough cough***** POLITICS. In 2017, let us all embrace love instead of hate. Love those who may think differently. Don’t love them because you love their ideas, love them because the same breath that breathed into you breathed into them. They have the same creator as you and me.
- See someone lonely, talk to them.
- See someone hurt, listen to them.
- See someone. See people as individuals. See individuals not for what he or she looks like or what he or she wears. Have the eyes of your Creator and love instantly not conditionally. This can change the world.
- Alcohol won’t fulfill you. You can’t drink away your problems, sleep away your issues, or distract yourself from your need of a savior.
- The only One who can fully satisfy the human heart is the one who created it.Not some cute boy or some hot girl.Not even a puppy. Let God be your foundation.
- There will always be someone hotter than you, smarter than you, and cooler than you. Stop comparing yourself to others unless you want a life filled with disappointments, headache, and heartbreaks. Run the race God has set for you, a race purposeful and different than the girl running besides you. Stop competing and start focusing on pursuing Christ.
- If you didn’t have struggle, you wouldn’t know peace. The waves of your life help you notice how beautiful the stillness of the water is.
- One of these days you will regret talking bad about people, including the person who talks bad about you. Kill them with kindness.
- Just stop texting your ex. Or even thinking about him/her. There’s no point. Love them because Jesus, but move on– it is best for you and for them.
- Your sin is bad. You are a problem. You need a Savior everyday. Cling to God everyday.
- You are not defined by what one person thinks of you. Or by what a group of people think about you. It doesn’t matter if your ex thinks you are not worthy, or if someone called you ugly in 8th grade. You are defined by what your creator thinks of you. And He calls you His greatest masterpiece. Embrace that. Forget about the hurtful things of the past and focus on the truth that comes from scripture. Truth that sets you free from insecurity, doubt, and pain.
- Replace sorry with thank you. For instance, instead of “I’m sorry that I am late”, say “Thank you for waiting for me”. Instead of “I’m sorry for spilling my problems to you”, say “Thank you for listening”. It will save you breath and remind you never to be sorry for being you.
- You can’t experience the mountain top view without experiencing the long enduring walk in the forest. Life is like a hike, and the uncomfortable gets us closer to seeing His glory in our life. Be willing to adventure through the uncomfortable, if it is God’s purpose for you. Go where called, don’t just go where comfortable.
- It cost $0.00 to be a considerate and kind person. Be kind. Love people.
- It does cost you your life when following Jesus. And that is not a bad thing. This life is not meant for you. Following Jesus in this world isn’t always easy, but it is worth it. Give your life to the One who breathed life into you.
- Talk to the person you’ve always wanted to talk to. Flirt with the cute boy or cute girl. @Tim Tebow I know you’ve been dying to talk to me. Admit it. Feel free to slide in my Facebook DMs in 2017.
- Stop settling. Stop accepting a mediocre relationship and an okay feeling about those who surround you. You deserve people who love you like Jesus, and you should love them in that way back.
- Let your trials become your testimony. All the pain you experienced in your past doesn’t need to be forgotten– it needs to be given to God. And God can make all things beautiful. Use the painful past you experienced to relate to those hurting and comfort someone who may need help. Let your past be used to help someone’s future.
- You can’t love God without loving His creation you see in the mirror. Respect yourself and love yourself.
- It is possible to be funny without offending people. This is important for our society.
- Make people smile and laugh. Bring joy to this world.
- Remember when you were little and didn’t need alcohol to dance or a dare to get you to talk to a stranger? Yeah, bring that child back. Channel child-like kindness and fun everyday. That is a gift from God.
- Wear clothes that make you happy. Do squats if it makes you happy. Fix your hair if it makes you happy. But don’t let your happy need those things. Have joy.
- Fall back in love with your first love. And no, not your ex from high school. Fall back in love to the man who was stabbed to a tree for your freedom. Fall in love with Jesus. He loved you first and desires to be put first in your life.
- Breathe in-and-out. This life is temporary, so enjoy it. But don’t find your worth in the titles you hold from a world that will end. Find your worth in what is eternal. Find your worth in the one who looked past your messy heart and said “I love you, I will conquer death for you”.
In 2017 my prayer is you have moments of happiness that make you jump on your bed with joy like you are five years old again and thank God for giving us joy in this lifetime. And in your moments of sadness that are inevitable, I pray you also thank God because your trials produce perseverance which helps your faith. I pray you live to love and wake up each morning thanking the Big Man Upstairs that He chose to use you to bring His Kingdom glory again. Let your days be filled with eternal joy and your worth be measured in what scripture says and not what the scale says after a long break of stuffing your face.
You are loved and your Savior wants to do life with you. If you haven’t talked to Him in a while, good news– that is okay. He hasn’t given up on you. It is not too late. He has His arms wide opened for you, still hung to the tree that could not defeat Him but defeated your sin. Turn to Him my friend, live life with Him, and let us use 2017 to bring Him glory.
So here’s to hoping Taylor Swift drops a new album this year. (T-Swift if you are reading this please do.) Here’s to hoping I climb more mountains and get to taste the beauty of God’s grace in a new way. Here’s to hoping these hands will be used for His glory and these feet will go wherever He calls me too.
Life is beautiful and worthy of celebration. May my life live out this celebration each sunrise.
“Though the cherry trees don’t blossom and the strawberries don’t ripen, Though the apples are worm-eaten and the wheat fields stunted, Though the sheep pens are sheepless and the cattle barns empty, I’m singing joyful praise to God. I’m turning cartwheels of joy to my Savior God.”MSG VERSION Habakkuk 3:17-18