My social media is filled with members of our nation stereotyping, belittling, being prideful, being hurtful and complaining. My social media is filled with many emotions, pride, anger, fear, and even confusion.
However, no matter what side you are on and no matter what you are feeling there is one thing I know for sure: you need Jesus. Our nation needs Jesus. Our nation needs the love of the Ultimate Savior who created mountains, sunrises and puppies; yet still loves our messy hearts more.
I pray this verses give you whatever you need from the person who created you.
1. “Do not worry. Learn to pray about everything. Give thanks to God as you ask Him for what you need. The peace of God is much greater than the human mind can understand. This peace will keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” –Philippians 4:6-7
Whatever reason you are scared or worried about our future, I challenge you to breath in-and-out. This verse was written by the Apostle Paul while in jail for being persecuted for spreading the name of Jesus. This peace gave Paul understanding and thankfulness even in prisonment. When you have Jesus by your side He carries your burdens. When worried, pray. When scared, pray. Pray and trust in that the King of Kings will not abandon you. He cares for you and loves you. He is more powerful than any president and any riot. How comforting is that?
2. “I give you a new Law. You are to love each other. You must love each other as I have l loved you. If you love each other, all men will know you are My followers.” Jon 13:34-35
These words came from your Savior Himself. Love. It is simple. There are no buts in this sentence. Love anyone whether than our an illegal immigrant, homosexual, Trump-lover, Hillary-believer. If you claim to love Jesus, it will be a natural reaction to love your neighbor.
3. “And we know God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28
Whether Tuesday morning was the worst day of your life, or the best– God will use it to work for a bigger purpose. Trust God’s plan even if you don’t understand it. He is our cheerleader and wants what’s best for us. Use each moment of your life to teach you something new about the one who rises the sun each morning. God is good. His plan is good.
4. “And said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:3
Everyone keeps saying “oh no our children are watching us!!!” But to me the real question is, are we watching them? Today a child woke up and the first thing on his mind was not a cynical thought about the opposing political party. Their first thought was not “I hate our president-elect” or “Praise God Hillary isn’t our president-elect”. They simply live. Maybe, we should be like them and be more trusting in our Creator and genuinely kind in our words. Let’s trust God and live each morning leaning on Him and not stuck in pride or despair.
5. “This truth also gives hope of life that lasts forever. God promised this before the world began. He cannot lie.” Titus 1:2
If you believe in Christ, then this is not the end for you. Now, are you going to sit back and stress about the present, or embrace the present and use your everyday to thank the Lord for eternal life by spreading His name? Have hope in the eternal life He gives you if you believe. This world is temporary. God will remain on His throne for eternity. He is our King, our one and true ruler.
6. “Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath. Laugh with your happy friends when they’re happy; share tears when they’re down. Get along with each other; don’t be stuck-up. Make friends with nobodies; don’t be the great somebody.” Romans 12:16 (MSG)
This is the message version, because I truly believe it makes what God intended it to mean a little easier to understand. America, let’s get along. Let’s try to understand our neighbors emotion. Let’s not deny their feelings. Let’s emphasize with others. God is the great somebody, you are not (even if your political rant got over 100+ likes on social media). Let’s learn to get along and try to reach out to the feelings of those who differ from us. We can not grow as a nation if we do not know our neighbor. And we can not love God if we do not love our neighbor.
7. “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet. “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 5:13-16
The Hillary Clinton campaign raised $1.3 billion dollars for her campaign. The Trump campaign raised $792 million dollars for his campaign. You know what that money could do for the starving, the hurt, the poor? I’m not saying it is bad to donate money to a campaign or to stand by the party or candidate you believe in, but imagine if we posted as much about Christ on social media as we do about politics. Imagine if we flooded our social media outlets with bible verses instead of Facebook fights? Imagine if we as a nation spread the name of Christ as often as we talked about our candidate?
If you say you believe in Christ you will live in such a way that people can’t help but notice “hey she is different”…If you say you love Christ you will leave each person you encounter with a feeling of joy that comes from the Spirit. Shine His light. Campaign for Him.
Here’s the truth, God is our King. He is my ruler and the person I campaign for daily through my actions. I strongly believe in Him and therefore naturally will love others (including those I disagree with).
This world needs more of Jesus. Not more Facebook rants. Fill your social media with truth and not opinions that can potentially hurt someone else.
The election is over but our ability to campaign Jesus is not until our last breath. What side do you want to be on?