Life is hard.
We live in a world where bad things happen to good people, good things happen to bad people, and every time we turn on the news innocent people are being murdered. There is so much pressure to act a certain way and exhibit the standard’s society tells us to. The anxiety, pressure and constant evil in this world can easily steal our joy if we allow it too. But when you fail your test, when disease steals people you love, and you suffer from having a broken heart– never forget there are plenty of reasons to smile. I can’t help but find joy every morning.
- There is someone on this Earth who cares deeply about me. For me, I know my family cares and loves for me deeply. Everyone has at least one person on this Earth who wouldn’t be the same without you. Because you walk this Earth, someone is happier. This could be a friend, boyfriend/husband, your family, a teacher or even a puppy. The community and people surrounding me makes me smile each day.
- My future is bright. Maybe my past didn’t go how I wanted it to, but I have so many more precious moments coming up that I can’t help but smile. I trust the Lord with my future and know He will put me where I need to be to further His Kingdom and find joy in the life I have while on this Earth. God is my number one fan and cheerleader, and I know wherever I go He will be beside me, and because of that I smile. So whether that means I’ll have 12 kids or 1, whether I’m married by the time I’m 21 or 41–I know the Lord is working and placing me where I need to be.
- Taylor Swift isn’t done writing songs. Taylor Swift has been my best friend since I was 12, and she doesn’t even know me. Maybe One Direction broke up, but I can’t help but smile when I remember that Taylor Swift is still writing songs, still relating to me, and still sharing her talent with the world. T-Swizzle is still creating art that is there for me for my heartaches, dance parties, and butterflies–and because of that I can’t help but smile.
- Rainy days bring rainbows. Every valley leads to a mountain top view. The sun is still shining even when you can’t see it. Beautiful things can come out of even your worst of trials. God will use your pain, your broken hearts, and your mistakes to bring Him glory if you allow Him to be apart of your life. Have faith that tomorrow can be better than today, if you continue to trust the King of Kings. I smile because the Lord is faithful even in adversity. Even in the worst of trials, God can bring something good from it. James 1:2 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.”
- Pizza. Pizza exists, and because of that I smile. God bless Pizza.
- Every day I grow in friendship with God. God knows everything about me. He knows my thoughts, my habits, my worst fears, and where I’ll be in 15 years. However, each day I am learning more about Him. His grace becomes more beautiful to me with each passing morning. His kindness becomes more evident with each prayer. The older I get, the more I am realizing the less I know. The older I get, the more I am realizing how much God knows. Every day is a new opportunity to sit at the feet of Jesus and praise His faithfulness to His people–and because of that I smile.
- God made Sunday mornings, puppies and sunflowers–and still loves me more. How can someone love a messed up sinner like me more than puppies? I don’t know how, but Christ does. He decided to create you and me in His image, what a beautiful gift. I smile because I am created in the image of Christ, and that is a pretty special thing.
- I may not be enough for this world–but I’m enough for God. Maybe, I’m not pretty enough for all the boys to like me, or skinny enough to look like Kendall Jenner. Maybe, I’ll never be cool enough to be considered the most popular girl. But the one thing that I know is true, is that despite God being out of our league–He says we are enough. He takes me, my 65 on my science exam, my stubbornness, my pimples and my mistakes and says “you are enough, come as you are”. Christ died for me, when I deserved to die. He took the weight of my sins and held His hands out to be nailed on the cross. Because of His grace, I will boast in His greatest each morning. I smile because I am the daughter of the King of Kings, the ultimate Teacher, the Wonderful Counselor, the Prince of Peace. I smile because I am a child of the One who is never-changing, always faithful, and never stops loving. I smile because I am His, and He is mine.
Life may be hard, but God is good. Even on your worst of days, find joy in the love your Father has for you. My prayer for everyone reading this is that you wake up each morning, and even when you feel like your world is falling apart– you remember the love the Lord has for you. Smile not because life is easy, but because God is good and God cares for you.
Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”