“I wonder what my future husband is doing right now…”
I have asked myself this question every since I first watched “Cinderella,” when I was in first grade. I have wondered about your characteristics, your taste in music, and what makes you tick for as long as I can remember. I have wondered who you are, how we would meet, and where we would raise our children together. I have wondered how the moment will feel when someone asks “how did y’all meet” while we are out on the town, honeymooning in Jamaica, or grocery shopping. I can’t wait for that day, but if you are out there reading this, don’t forget these things…
1. Never forget that flowers go a long way.
Flowers will always brighten up my mood, and although you don’t have to buy them everyday, it wouldn’t hurt to surprise me with them from time to time.
2. Never forget that I want to support our family too. I appreciate a man with a strong work ethic, but don’t forget I have one too.
However I can help our family, whether with a job or by helping with the children and being the mom who drives to soccer games and ballet classes, I want to do it. I want to do what is best for our children and family just as much as you do. I want to help you, we are a team.
3. Never forget that our children come first, and I pray you remind me of the same.
I pray you never forget that attending a dance recital will mean more in the long run than an extra two hours at work. I pray you remind me as well to talk to our children and listen to their daily stories.
4. I hope you have a sense of humor that will keep me laughing for as long as we may live.
Looks will fade, but our humor won’t. Keep me laughing from our honeymoon to the nursing home and all the stressful moments in-between.
5. I hope you love Chipotle as much as me. Never forget that I like extra guac.
6. I pray you never grow tired of waking up next to me every morning.
I want our relationship to never become boring or old. I pray you look at me with unconditional love for our years to come, from our wedding day to our fifty year anniversary, and I pray I do the same.
7. Always remember, I waited for you.
From when I planned my wedding at seven years old to when I was in high school and never gave into certain culture norms because I wanted to wait for you. Appreciate it.
8. You can talk about your past when needed.
Your past created who you are today, and it is okay to talk about past wounds and memories. Just don’t ever compare me to your ex or even talk about her.
9. I pray you remember that I am insecure, and being called beautiful will always give me butterflies.
10. I’m grumpy in the mornings and I’m sorry.
I’m not perfect or even close to being perfect. Mornings are hard, so try to avoid important conversations until after I get my coffee.
11. Most importantly, I pray you look like Jesus.
I pray that you will have his eyes, by looking for the good in others and not at worldly things. I pray that you will have his mouth, slow to speak and quick to love. I pray that your arms always reach out to others. I pray your heart is founded on scripture and God’s faithfulness.
Whether I met you tomorrow or 10 years down the road, I will always be praying for you. I pray we laugh together, cry together, and never forget to thank God for each other. May our relationship be a reflection of the Lord’s faithfulness and His love.
Originally posted here: